Moonwalk is a dynamic workload placement software suite that automates the movement of unstructured data from expensive & complex primary storage to lower cost disk storage, object storage and the cloud.
Moonwalk is a patented* software technology for the implementation and execution of data management policies that reflect the specific requirements of any organization.
Moonwalk allows file data to be managed by any attribute, making complex rules easier to express in simple business policies, allowing for easier archiving, faster retrieval, and most importantly, the ability to dramatically reduce the total cost of storage ownership.
Moonwalk is a sociable, non-disruptive technology with no introduced points of failure or scalability limitations. Moonwalk’s architecture minimizes network congestion and computing and storage resource consumption
• Automates the process of archiving, moving, copying or deleting files
• Schedules control to ensure operational activity does not compete with existing processes
• Supports flexible rules that permit users to create policies that determine which files will be archived, moved, copied or deleted
• Provides a single point from which the policies can be defined and executed
• Implements a distributed execution framework
• Runs on a wide variety of enterprise storage platforms
• Requires a very small footprint in the environment
• Simulates operations to help administrators fine-tune rules for optimum results and storage savings, and to confirm that policies will function as intended
• Enables recovery of archived files in the event of a disaster
Optimize your primary NAS storage with Moonwalk and IBM Cloud Object Storage
- Postpone/Reduce New Storage Purchase
Identify inactive data across primary storage that is consuming expensive resources and move this data by policy to IBM Cloud Object Storage.
- Simplify Backup and Recovery Process
Store backup of active data in IBM Cloud Object Storage for redundancy and disaster recovery
- Seamless Path to the Cloud
Seamlessly extend existing on premise storage to IBM Cloud Object Storage without any changes to user or application access and preserving original namespace and security
- Reduce Operational Costs (Backup, DR)
Eliminate inactive data from NetApp filers and backup streams, accelerating active data workflows and significantly reducing storage and backup hardware and software expenditure.
- Execution by Policy or API integration
- AdminCenter analyzes managed file servers in parallel
- Candidate files are identified
- File content is written to the policy-configured target
- Source and Target are monitored for health
- Content is written as file or object depending on target
- On success, original files are truncated to a block
- File metadata, security and logical size is retained
- Content address is written as file metadata
- Each file operation is atomic
- User or Application view of files is unchanged
- Access of a Tiered file will automatically fetch the data
- Content is streamed back to the original file
- File(s) can be used once minimum application content is available
- Secondary Storage content will persist according to Policy
- Content is marked suitable for Delete/Scrub operations
- File recall may also be triggered by API or by Policy
- Encryption/Decryption is automatic and transparent